Sunday 13 October 2013

The Topping out Ceremony

You are cordially invited to the Topping Out ceremony.... well cyber-invited.

I got the gravelled mansard roof in place today so it was, officially,  the end of the build............



This building is early Victorian (maybe on an older cottage base) and mansards of poorer buildings weren't covered in lead - far too expensive.  They were made from about five layers of felt in the rafters covered with a tarred membrane and topped with gravel encased in a small edging with drainage access.  So, in keeping with that, here's the finished roof top.

In my case, this was made from (wallpaper) lining paper with a thin strip of wood all round; except where the hinges are.  I painted this with brown acrylic paint and left it to dry - under heavy books.  It was then daubed with Elmer's best and the gravel pressed into it.  Dried again and stuck down in the same way as the floors with double sided sticky tape - so if there is ever a lighting problem it can be easily removed.




The shop name is made from sticky back plasticy-paper letters painted gold.  It was customary for the local Earl (or large landowner) to fund pubs for their workers; this one was courtesy of Lord Stanley and was called the Stanley Arms.  Lucky for Vianne as it meant she could salvage the letters needed for Maya.  Good job it wasn't the Lord Raglan.


Here's the end result - chocolaterie/patisserie Maya!

You might notice it is also almost fully moved in.  I'll share those photos with you each day for the next few days.  For now let's just raise a glass to Vianne for a job well done.

.........and yes, that is champagne.  I know how to finish a project!






2 comments:

  1. Hello Em! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    What a great job on the roof, I love it and as usual you have done your research well. Great information and background checks that is invaluable, Thank You! I love to learn the whys and the wherefores about things. Your tip about keeping the roof electrics accessible is also something I hadn't ever considered before. Meanwhile the presentation of the finished exterior is Marvelous and you have captured the essence of the building so well and makes me want to draw closer and have a good look at what is dressing the windows! I'm really looking forward to seeing each room and how you have customized the spaces a la' Chocolat! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks as always Elizabeth. When I set off on this gane I assumed the filling the house bit would be the best fun - it turns out I like the research and the narrative and the actual build best of all! No accounting for taste.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.