Monday 14 October 2013

The Kitchen



The kitchen is pretty much finished. 



Here's the cabinet I showed you yesterday in situ.  I made a feeble attempt to hack out some skirting so it would snug in against the wall.  You can just see the cutting line on the left if you look carefully - I've moved the cabinet across to cover that now.  It was a daft idea on two levels.  One it would have made a mess even if it came out and two cabinets weren't built in and they must have sat proud of the skirting board.

The flap cupboard just needs a couple more food items.




The cooker has the beef ready to go in.  It seems ironic that this French lady is roasting a beef joint for dinner as les rosbifs  is the slightly disparaging name for the English.

The bucket, carpet beater, scrubbing brush and broom are to hand.  I need to add a floor cloth wrung out and over the side of the bucket.


There is a tablet of soap near the taps and a box of Swan Vestas left on the drainer. I need a fairy liquid in the right container to go there too.

The pots and pans are kept on a shelf above the sink along with the mincer; that is lobbed up there as it is a chunky piece of kit.  The cooling tray has had a rinse and is draining alongside a cup and saucer and spoon.  basic dishes are on the corner shelves - enough for Anouk and Vianne.

 I need a towel and tea towel and hooks for them and maybe a string bag on the back of the door. 

There is a little wooden cupboard on the right hand wall.  This is a sort of medicine cabinet and any other personal bits and bobs like a comb.  Don't ask, it just was like that.

The winter veg are waiting to be prepped for dinner and Ollie has just finished his meal.

Please note the all-essential rug in front of the sink unit.  I hope to find (or make) a rag rug to replace this posh looking one.  My mother's kitchen had a rug anywhere you might stand for a while as the cold 'would draw your feet' - no idea what that meant.  Basically I assumed it was just cold underfoot and a rug made it more comfortable.  It also mopped up water drips so they didn't get traipsed all over the lino.




The two odd chairs are a deliberate touch with Anouk's being a smaller one than Vianne's.  There is a cutlery drawer in the table which is why we can't see any around anywhere.  The table is laid for Anouk's bread and jam and a glass of milk after school to keep her going until dinner time.  It is being ignored in favour of chattering with her mother and Armand in the shop.

The hyacinth will make it to a window sill when we actually get one put in!

(Come back tomorrow for the sitting room)














6 comments:

  1. Hi Em,

    Your kitchen is coming together in leaps and bounds! I reminds me of my grandmother's kitchen, where I spent many, long, happy hours as a boy. Looking forward to seeing the sitting room.

    XOXO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John
      Nice to see you and I am glad my 'creation' evokes nice memories - it has certainly done that for me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Em! I think that this room is totally charming and I love the various elements that you have installed. The cupboard is perfect for the ambience and the Fantastic cooker is a dream! I love the way it looks against the profile of the interior chimney! The details of the kitchen are very cosy and very authentic and I would just love to sit and share a cup of tea with Viannne at anytime! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea! Tea! Surely you mean a bowl of hot chocolat with a pinch of cayenne...... Oh, go on then you can have a 'builders'. Thanks Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your kitchen is amazing :).

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.