Monday 23 September 2013

Miniatura 21st/22nd September

Miniatura was wonderful!  A couple of hundred stalls to go at and two days to do it in - deep joy. We overnighted in a Holiday Inn pretty much at the NEC and it cost the princely sum of £49 including breakfast and did the job very nicely - had a bar and place to get food - some of it 24 hrs which is unheard of in this country.   Very quiet, room with desk and settee - all in all a bit of a bargain.

We have always been on the Sunday 10 - 4.30 and I have done all day.  This time I did 10 -4 Saturday and 10 - 2 Sunday which was lovely - so much less tiring on the feet and the brain.

I must have covered every stand at least half a dozen times.  It is so hard trying to decide where to part with your money.  That said I finished my visit on a totally giddy purchase - a 1/24th perfectly formed Art Deco house.  My twelfth (!!!!) blog will be up and running soon for it so I'll save all the photos and chatter for that - here's just a sniff of what's to come.......




It was a lovely way to spend the weekend - mini folk are the very nicest people.  OK - no chatter about the show just sharing what I bought.

A 1940's Speedway gas oven.  It is a bit boring right now - metal bits in a box - and it will be quite a fiddle to do.  I did the 1910 cooker for Bentleys so I know what I am facing.  I wanted to do it myself because the only made up ones are in cream and green and my mom's was speckly bluey/grey. On reflection, needless to say, I think I want it to be green and cream after all so I could have bought a finished on!!! Hey ho.   I bought it from Jennifer's of Walsall who are my stalwart suppliers of just about everything.  I also found my Anouk there.




I picked up two things I had ordered from the incredibly talented Kath of Delph Miniatures.  You cannot believe how incredibly tiny and detailed this Yale lock is.  Even over-magnified like this it still looks great.  I will be back for more.  

She also made me the electric ring I needed for the drinking chocolate saucepan in the shop - she even remembered to put a brown flex and round plug on it as it is 1950.  I might change the socket to a round and brown one - but what a star - talk about above and beyond.  In addition she is incredibly nice about doing such tiddling commissions whilst working on things like a complete 1/24th fish and chip shop for someone.  How very kind.

Not much here but more to come it is 9 pm and I am done for today - more tomorrow......

6 comments:

  1. Hi Em, That house is a gem! A few years ago, someone brought in a similar house to my studio and asked me to fix it up. I had a ball with it but neglected to snap any pics. Glad you had such a nice time at the show. Looking forward to seeing more of the house.

    XOXO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly lovely but then I would say that wouldn't I? It is a full 360 degree house hence my succumbing to 1/24th - it means I have room for a complete house instead of a front slice. I hope to find time to start the new blog today and will leave directions how to find it in this blog so if you are interested you can watch its progress. Thanks as always for stopping by....

      Delete
  2. Hi Em! I LOVE EVERYTHING! You really scored at this show and the pieces that you came away with are so unique. The lock is perhaps my very favorite but they are ALL simply Wonderful!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly Elizabeth the lock is absolutely wonderful. I can't imagine how anyone makes anything that small. The biggest measurement is the long side of the big piece and that's under 3/8ths of an inch. So clever. More to come to day when I have done my 'chores' and can snatch some playtime.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done with your purchases AND the house. I bet you didn't expect to see that much less buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It it the most expensive thing I have ever bought myself; so if I can only dodge the Calvinistic guilt I can get to enjoy it. Wait 'til you see the inside.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.