Tuesday 9 July 2013

Support small shows

On Sunday I went to Brentwood Fair's show at the Mecure Hotel in Blackrod, Bolton.  This is pretty much on my doorstep being only half an hour away, well worth 'checking it out'.  I had been to the previous two so I knew it was a small show (maybe 20 vendors?).  I needed a couple of 'practical' things and thought I would pootle along again and pick those up.  I am so glad I did.  It was a gem of a show.  There was loads of things to look at for inspiration and just sheer pleasure.  I never managed to find either of the things I wanted but I did get three things I love and I have found someone who can make my chocolates at a price I can afford.  All of this was totally unplanned and unexpected.  

I already own the basics for Fimo chocolate making - three blocks of the stuff plus tools, so I might still have a go and see what I make of it but it is a relief to know I have a ton of chocolates on the way.  The other thing I wanted when I was doing Bentleys was a string bag - the same vendor had those.  Hers were stuffed with groceries so I have ordered an empty bag. This means I am now working umpteen projects ahead!  I think, somewhere down the line,  I want to do the house of my birth/childhood set in 1955 and the string bag is for that!  talk about be prepared....

I found some lovely stalls to write about for the magazine so forgive me if I don't go through that again.  Suffice it to say.  If you CAN get to any show, even if you don't want anything, go along to it - shops and shows need support or they will disappear.  At this one I spoke to my nearest/only shop lady who told me she had closed the shop and would only be doing another three or four shows to offload stock and then she'll be finished.

Here is my Chocolat purchase, you need to visit Starfish Cottage for the other two:


This is a new Vianne who badly needs a repaint, so that should be interesting.  At £3.50 I can afford to make a ham's hock of it.  

I was recycling 'me' from Wentworth for that role but she is blonde, pale and miserable looking (perfect as me!).  I am hoping this one has the potential to be a sexy Juliette Binoche.












6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed the mini show. Brentwood will be in Edinburgh on 9th November at the Royal Highland Centre (I mention this as I know you almost made it to an Edinburgh show some time ago but it didn't work out). We could meet up.

    That was a great price for your doll and you'll have to show her when you've worked your magic on her.

    Your idea for the 1955 house (complete with net bag) is something I'm really looking forward to seeing - now that you've mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry - that should read Sunday 3rd November.

      Delete
  2. I would be at the Edinburgh show if I wasn't at the one in Philadelphia!!! Yeah!!!! we are flying back to Naples via Philly and stopping over a couple of nights so I can go to the show - how good is that!!! As I said the Brentwood one was small but perfectly formed. I was there a couple of hours and some of that time was talking and taking pictures for the magazine so, yes, I meant what I said it is worth going to small local shows when they are on your doorstep because you never know what you might find. Have you seen the lovely shower I got for Starfish cottage? Not sure about repainting a resin doll but you don't know what you can do until you try - carve cow legs for example! As for my childhood home - probably summer 2015!!!!!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Google Hannah Roet - gorgeous things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there were some small shows in my neck of the woods --but there's not, unfortunately (at least that I'm aware of)! Yes, I could see your new doll as Juliette Binoche --a few magic strokes of the brush should do the trick. There's the teeniest possibility that I might make it to Philly, too --if I do go we'll have to meet for a drink!
    XO, John

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's probably the trouble with small shows - we don't hear about them. I only got to this one because I searched for it! That said I do the winter in Florida and don't see very many shows, small or otherwise - we are spoiled for them in the UK in comparison to America - though you guys will do the distance for things. 'Road trips' are part of your psyche. Tell us something is a hundred miles away and we have to make all sorts of plans and decisions as to whether we will travel that far! This one was about 8 miles from me and we still had a debate/plan/shall we/shan't we..... Magic painting of Miss Binoche would be great, unfortunately it will be Marilyn painting - maybe not quite the same. Question one - strip her or paint over?

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.