Sunday 23 June 2013

Shimming up a door

 I bought new doors for Chocolat knowing they were too small.

The interior door isn't a problem as I think that the space is so disproportionately large it looks like an archway so it will have a curtain or even a bead curtain (very hippy/beatnik) to divide the sitting room from the bedroom.

This still left the problem of the outside door.









Being me, I couldn't be faffed getting Ken to drive me miles to the nearest decent size craft shop to see if they have the right size bit of wood to fill the gap.  Don't ever try and get an answer to that on line or by phone!

What had I got in my rummage box?  Mmmm some really battered door frame that I had ripped out from O'Rourkes fitted quite well.  I cleaned it up a little and glued it in place.

The front face of this was smooth and level and the rough part at the back would be fine if I went over it with filler.






I then had an even better thought - was there another bit of wood that would fill that gap?  My other half suggested skirting.  I knew the thickness was fine but it was too wide - he deftly cut it with a craft knife.  Oh for a set of muscles for Christmas.

I shaped the top right corner so it went inside the curve, we now had a perfect fit.

Bing, bang, bosh, that was glued in








The inside just needed a bit of filler in the curve at the top and the slit between the wall and wood on the inside was 'filled in' with paint, applied with the miraculous micro brush - love 'em.

It now has a bit of border added and you wouldn't know there was ever a problem.  Door fits snug as a bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.