Thursday 30 May 2013

Feeling groovy

Here is clever old me making lighting grooves in the roof of my building ready for the wires to appear and go down the back to the power supply.

I 'll natter about the wiring aspect of this when I start on the electrics, for now I am in the 'woodworking' stage of the build and part of this is making a mess with my little Drill Master.  I have finally decided to give it its proper name instead of pretendy Dremel which is how it has been known so far.  It has earned its nomenclature as I now know what it actually does.

I wrote an earlier blog about finding an unspecified bit in my kit and thinking that it was the right tool for this job but it turned out not to be so.  I knew it wasn't a router but I thought it was a cutter and might do; now I have no idea what it is or does, even after trying it.

When that failed me I tipped out all these carving/engraving diamond burr bits!!  I know that's what they are because the Dremel spot-the-tool poster tells me so.  There are twenty of them and are often very subtly different.

I marked a line where I wanted the groove to go with a steel rule and box cutter and selected one of the very finely pointed bits.  It worked OK, but one about three sizes up worked even better.  It pretty much stuck to the line with only a very occasional wobble when it hit a hard bit of the MDF.




I finished off the groove with this weird and wonderful looking one which worked brilliantly.

I have no real idea of how these are supposed to be used or how long they will last hacking their way through MDF but for now I am doing cartwheels.... of the rotary variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.