Wednesday 24 April 2013

Great stuff

I don't usually bother to share 'ordinary' building stuff here but these things are just so good and such good value they need a mention.

They are from J & A Supplies ordered on the 22nd after business hours and in my hands on the 24th.

This first simple door is a false door - I used two in Bentleys and they really look the part.  Just finish them as normal and stick in place.  It gets a showing here because it is inexpensive (£3.75) and not easy to find. 


 This half glaze door is also a bit hen's teeth (rare as...).  I originally settled on a half-glazed exterior door from somewhere else but it is a bit over-sized and over-trimmed for indoors.  This turned out fine as I am actually going to use as an exterior door any way.  

Then I found this one on J & A's site when I went to look for stairs.... I always go for a wander round mini merchants when I am there.

Again a good price at £7.75 and, even better, it has glazing which comes out so you can paint/finish the wood without messing up the 'glass' and actually has proper hinges instead of those little pins through the frame.  The interior frame has even been rebated so it will cover one side of the hinges - all this for that price.






The stairs cost £5.95 so I was expecting the usual crude MDF block which was OK as they will be mostly hidden behind a wall.  It is a shame in a way that they are so nice.  They are well finished pine and the thing I like about them is they have the bull-nosed trim at the front so it looks like the risers have a proper tread on them.  Brilliant.  I actually had to by trim to make my last staircase look like that.  

I have saved the best 'til last.

I was going to have to make a winder as I want the stairs to start in the shop but turn a sharp right angle and then climb up behind a wall at the back of the room.  You will see what I mean when I get to assemble that bit.  So I would have had to buy two kinds of wood for the construction and am not confident that I would do a very good job.

No need.... J & A make a left-hand and right-hand winder. This is the left hand one for the princely sum of £5.  Just think of the hours of frustration that has saved.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Em,

    Those are lovely components! Can't wait to see what you do with them !

    XOXO,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping following especially at this pretty slow and boring stage. I did think these were a bit of a bargain and, as I said, in my experience not easy to find.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.