Saturday 6 April 2013

A Woman's Prerogative...

I came back into the Blog today with the intention of wiping the out the last post as I have pretty much demolished everything I said there but, perhaps, it is a good thing for some of you reading this to see how much chopping and changing and prevaricating goes on when I am doing this stuff.  It can only comfort you to know how clear sighted and calm you are about it all.

So, pretty much, forget everything I said three days ago.  This is where I am today.



I scrabbled around my stash and found 'stand-ins' for stuff to see what would and wouldn't fit in the rooms if I went with plan A........ Chocolat, the movie.... just not set in France.

Do not panic gentle reader most of the stuff being used in these pictures will not be used in the finished product and none of the walls and floors will look anything like this.





That said, the sitting room (with a front door entrance from the top of the outside stairs) will look quite a lot like this.

Right now I am happy with the furniture in here, other than the two pieces that need repairing and the one that needs cleaning up.  The only disappearing trick will be the little side table in front of the settee,  it will be replaced with a coffee table.






The bedroom.... furniture..... maybe?  Certainly the chest will stay.  The chimney breast will go but there will still be a fireplace.  The chimney is on the outside of the building and really doesn't need to come inside.  It makes for added interest but doesn't suit me.

The false door at the back won't be there like this; there will just be a doorway with a curtain across it.  In 'real life', Vianne found she didn't have enough room for her French Empire (sleigh) bed, so the door has been removed and a curtain stops the drafts and keeps the room private from the little landing outside.  The landing gives access to a small bathroom.  It also has another door which gives access to storage areas and back stairs to the shop.  This is a door which can be locked to make the flat self contained above the shop but, as the shop is hers, Vianne can use the space as she likes and have inside access downstairs to the kitchen where she and Anouk eat.  Anouk uses a tiny storeroom for her bedroom and she and Vianne use the cupboards and landing space for their clothes and belongings.


Unless, like me, the movie is ingrained in your head the downstairs may be harder to imagine at this stage.  I will be building a false wall right across the back (using as little space as possible) so I can replicate the  cupboard at the back (on the left side of the room) and the doorway on the right side.  In the movie the arched opening at this side of the room showed a staircase.  I don't want to give it this much space so I will have a beaded curtain (very sixties) covering the space.  Bamboo would be even better. [I do like to set myself a challenge].  Basically I need a simple dresser/some shelving behind the counter arrangement.  The counter/bar might do but I would be happier if it were wood.  I shall be on the look out for a pub bar I think.


The chimney will go.  As I said the back wall will be bumped forward and a cupboard built in.  Not too sure if the curtained glass doors are on a dresser or just doors to a room in the movie.  I need to take a much closer look.  I might just go with my own (Englishy) thing any way.

I need a long plain dresser for the left hand wall with an open base and shelves above and a small glass fronted counter to run at right angles to it.

This side is the heart of the shop where all the chocolates are.  The bar area on the right is where the till is and is a place to share a cup of hot chocolate.  I must admit I always thought three stools (as in the movie) never seemed as though she was expecting much custom!  Depending on the space I may go 'off plan' and squeeze in more seating.

So I am more settled as to where this is leading and will be starting on the stripping down of the building tomorrow..........    Sunday lunch permitting.

P.S.  I have done the first draft of the narrative (see the page at the top if interested) so it feels more glued in place and time.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great to have a play and it helps with the spacing of stuff and to see if an idea you have actually works.

    It's always a nice feeling to know which direction a property is going to take and you can now settle down and get on with it although another idea may change things again - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey, don't wish that on me! I am dreadful for chopping and changing. Somehow it just has to get to the point of it 'feeling right' or I wouldn't want to do it. I am cracking on though now - all demolition at this stage, but fun as it is all new to me. I will be up in Edinburgh this weekend for the show and visit my daughter; you'd better order up some better weather!

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam your comments come to me first. I will be as fast as I can to post them and reply. Please do leave a message.